Friday, June 29, 2012

Old MacDonald had a farm, Ee i ee i oh!

Friday Farmers' Findings!


Yesterday was the farmers' market near my office.  My coworker and I try to go every week, even when it feels like a million degrees outside. When we lived in Phoenix, the DF and I went to the farmers' market downtown every Wednesday and Saturday for the entire time we were there.  We LOVE it!  


Farmers' markets are filled with all sorts of treasures. From locally made wine and cheese, to fresh fruits and veggies to herbs and hummus, you can find it all!  Not to mention meeting the people who actually grew/created what you are buying!  That beats the supermarket any day in my book! 


 I've been on this fresh dill kick.  For two weeks at the market, I picked up a bunch of fresh dill for $2.  We are talking mondo bunch of dill. It looks like a small evergreen tree growing on my windowsill.  However, my repertoire for recipes involving fresh dill is limited so to the World Wide Web (does anyone call it that anymore? Am I that old?)  to find recipes.  


First was a dill potato salad, then tzatkik tzatziki sauce then dilled refridgerator cucumbers and onion.  My advice to you: GO GET SOME FRESH DILL!!!  It was delightful, fragrant and made for a delicious dinner. If you buy a bunch like mine, share it with a friend unless you're making your own pickles.  I made my own last week but this week's dill bunch is getting shared. 




When we lived in Arizona, we stumbled upon these cucumbers below...lemon cucumbers and I was instantly in love.  I grew up eating fresh produce from the garden.  Pick the cucumber, wipe off any dirt, break in half and munch.  These cucumbers are crisp, refreshing and a little milder than a regular cucumber.  Go get yourself some if you can find them.  If not, take my word for it - they are amazing! 




Do you farmers' market?  If so, any fun finds? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! I love farmers markets too and living in Indiana, there is no shortage of them. We also have lots of Amish country stores. They're not the friendliest folks but they do make some delicious all natural food.

    I love how your blog is coming along, good work!
    Have a great weekend!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just nominated you for the Sunshine award on my blog! Head over to http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ to see it! Hope you have a great day!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete