Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bread

Oh those delicious carbs that tempt you with their yeasty smell and their heavenly taste when slathered in melted butter! 


Wait - Did I say that aloud?!  Oh my, I'm dreaming about bread again. 


I LOVE BREAD! But not the picked up in the store quickly as you run past the aisles. Yes, I buy that bread in a pinch because some days it's easier.  I'm talking about the freshly baked bread.  The kind you make with mixing yeast with some water, some flour and a pinch of other ingredients.  Then you knead and mix until the bread is ready to bake up hot and crispy in the oven. 


Do you bake your own bread?  I feel like it's a lost art and people are scared of it.  I had a friend once tell me that yeast scared her because it seemed so difficult to use.  *GASP* Yeast is cake...well bread! 


We own a bread machine. I found it in a thrift store, brand new for $20.  It retailed for between $60 - 80 and hasn't let me down since our meeting.  If you're scared, your bread machine will gently massage your temples and let a calm wash over you because it will be OKAY!


We make bread by hand as well.  The mixing, the kneading, the shaping...it's very therapeutic. It released stress, it allows me to only focus on one task because it will create a beautiful meal for my family. 


I'm hoping to share some bread recipes as we go to help you start your bread journey. 


Who's with me?



2 comments:

  1. I often mention how bad I am at cooking, so let me answer your question with a memory...
    In home-ec class in high school we were assigned making bread at home. We had to bring in our projects for the whole class to try. Everyone elses bread was delicious, then it came my turn to share the bread. It LOOKED okay, but when the teacher tried to slice it, the knife wouldn't cut. So she tried to saw it... still no luck. 3 years later when I was ready to graduate, she was still using it as a doorstop.

    : )
    I'm coming to your house for bread though! LOL
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That's too funny! :) At least it's getting used, right??

    I'll share!

    ReplyDelete